It is important for range owners to properly manage their waste. The management of hazardous waste has specific compliance measures to be taken, but, even if your waste is considered non-hazardous for purposes of disposal, it is still important to ensure that this waste is managed appropriately from “cradle” to grave, and this starts with specific things you can do right now onsite. In this article, we will discuss basic information and DIY tips on how you can manage your lead-containing waste on your range.
Recently we contributed to the NSSF blog on an article titled: “Five Tips for Shooting Ranges Onsite Lead Waste Management” where these five topics are covered:
- Training – Appropriate training for you and your staff in the proper handling of your onsite lead waste is critical.
- Containerization – It is important to use the proper containers for storage of your range waste
- Labeling – Hazardous waste regulations work to ensure that waste is being managed appropriately
- Inspection – It is recommended (required for hazardous) that you regularly inspect your waste
- Documentation – The overall goal of the cradle-to-grave documentation process is to be able to tell the story of the lifetime of that waste
Containerization is an important consideration for a firing range – It is important to use the proper containers for storage of your range waste. Placing waste into an unused corner of a room is not considered proper storage. Eventually, this waste will be transported off-site to an appropriate disposal facility. As such, the best method of storage is to have the waste stored in readily transportable containers. For most ranges, DOT complaint drums and Cubic-Yard (CY) boxes work best.
MT2 is well known industry wide for being the nation’s #1 largest professional provider of the full scale of outdoor/indoor range environmental, maintenance and construction services; proven at over 2,000 ranges in all 50 states from our nationwide office network. Including:
• Comprehensive OSHA training program
• Knowledge of EPA regulations
• Our “Never Generate Hazardous Waste Guarantee.”
• Lead: Reclamation, Screening & Treatment to MAXIMIZE Your Lead Value!
• Environmental: EPA & OSHA Consulting;
• Remediation Maintenance: Filters/Ventilation, Rubber, Traps, Decontamination
• Construction: Renovation, Design/Build, Improvements, Closure.
MT2’s zero-tolerance for regulatory violations gives range owners the peace of mind that their project will be successfully completed on a guaranteed schedule.
No one can complete an Environmental or firing range lead reclamation project quicker and safer than MT2.