An Environmental Stewardship Plan (ESP) is a responsible, legally compliant management plan to conserve our natural resources and sustain our environment. It is a “living document” intended as a long-term management and planning document to be reviewed, at a minimum, annually and revised as appropriate based on implementation experience. Accordingly, the range should consider working closely with a qualified Environmental Stewardship Plan services provider. Working side-by-side to properly execute the ESP will provide the best results for your range in the long term.
An Environmental Stewardship Plan presents a strategy for ongoing environmental stewardship related to shooting-generated constituents throughout the life of the range and are consistent with the guidance and recommendations of the United States Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA 2001), the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF 1997), and the Interstate Technology and Regulatory Council (ITRC 2005).
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)’s Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), assigns “cradle to grave” liability for solid hazardous waste that is not treated and disposed of properly. Because this focuses on the generator of the hazardous waste and tracks it all the way to proper disposal, range owners and operators must be aware of “Best Management Practices For Outdoor Shooting Ranges” which is an easy-to-read overview of shooting range ESP practices, created by the EPA.
Best Management Practices to Consider:
Properly managing a firing range can make environmental stewardship easy. The following management techniques should be employed and include but are not limited to:
- Proper and effective bullet and shot containment
- Best Management Practices to prevent lead migration
- How to best manage your lead impacted waste removal/recycling
- Thorough record-keeping is required for all lead-impacted waste
- Human lead exposure standards and monitoring
The purposes of an Environmental Stewardship Plan can include, but are not limited to:
- Documenting environmental actions that have been completed to date on the firing range
- Documenting the present environmental setting including upgrades at the range, if applicable, along with previous firing range maintenance activities.
- Identifying issues of potential environmental concern that may exist associated with shooting and related lead constituents.
- Identifying, evaluating, and prioritizing appropriate actions to manage these issues.
- Identifying short and long-term action items and steps needed for implementation.
- Developing an implementation schedule
- Identifying ways to measure and document results of management actions.
- Providing periodic evaluation of progress toward environmental stewardship goals and appropriate revisions of plans.
Addressing lead hazards at an outdoor shooting range can include, but are not limited to:
- pH adjustments or use of patented EPA approved range waste treatment technology – ECOBOND® provided by MT2 Firing Range Services, to prevent lead leaching
- creation of physical barriers; including dikes and organic ground covers
- recovering spent bullets or shot to be potentially recycled.
Your Environmental Stewardship Plan (ESP) Has the Potential for Saving Money and Improving Health at the Range:
- Potentially avoid or lower the costs of the systemic and permanent toxic effects of lead
- Safer work conditions for your staff and community
- Reduce remediation and liability with lead reclamation
A savvy shooting range ESP can also generate income for the range through EPA-compliant recycling and reclamation of lead bullets, shot, and metallic casings. While the idea of an ESP may seem daunting for a firing range, there are often simple, economical ways to implement one.
If you need assistance with generating an Environmental Stewardship Plan, let MT2 Firing Range Services help! Our experience from assisting hundreds of other firing ranges with their ESP makes all the difference in the world because experience matters!!
Our Passion: MT2 Firing Range Services personnel are passionate about cleaning and restoring our environment, protecting people from the hazards of lead, and in serving and protecting those who serve and protect us, whether in the military or in law enforcement.
Our Vision: To be the premier specialty environmental services company known for our high level of service and integrity with a higher purpose.
Our Mission: MT2 Firing Range Services’ mission is to deliver a competitive service experience to our clients, characterized by excellence in performance, safety, and environmental protection; producing a sustainable rate of return to shareholders; and established on a foundation of principles and values commensurate with our calling.
MT2 is well known industry wide for being the nation’s #1 largest professional provider of the full scale of outdoor/indoor range environmental, maintenance and construction services; proven at over 2,000 ranges in all 50 states from our nationwide office network. Including:
- Environmental Stewardship Plan Services
- Comprehensive OSHA training program
- Knowledge of EPA regulations
- Our “Never Generate Hazardous Waste Guarantee.”
- Lead: Reclamation, Screening & Treatment to MAXIMIZE Your Lead Value!
- Environmental: EPA & OSHA Consulting;
- Remediation Maintenance: Filters/Ventilation, Rubber, Traps, Decontamination
- Construction: Renovation, Design/Build, Improvements, Closure.
Contact us today: www.MT2FiringRangeServices.com | 1-888-435-6645